More Information On...

***If you suspect a vulnerable adult is being Abused, Exploited, Neglected or Self Neglecting call: 208-233-4032. 
For mandatory reporting online, go to
:  Idaho.Getcare.com/Consumer/Adult_Protective_Services_Report

Adult Protective Services

For the vulnerable elderly and disabled, silence can be just as painful as actual abuse, neglect, self neglect and exploitation. Unless the silence is broken, help never comes.

There are vulnerable adults in Idaho who are unable to protect themselves from abuse or exploitation by others. There are also vulnerable adults who are neglected by persons caring for them. Still other vulnerable adults are unable to care for themselves and have no one else to help them.

Adult Protective Services helps to protect vulnerable adults by investigating reports of Abuse, Exploitation, Neglect and Self Neglect of Vulnerable Adults. Adult Protective Services works with the individual, the family and other agencies to find solutions.

The Idaho Adult Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation Act (Idaho Statute Title 39 Chapter 39) defines the following:

  • What is a Vulnerable Adult? A person eighteen (18) years of age or older who is unable to protect him/herself from abuse, neglect or exploitation due to physical or mental impairment which affects the person’s judgment or behavior to the extent that they lack sufficient understanding or capacity to make or communicate or implement decisions regarding their person.
  • What is Abuse? The intentional or negligent infliction of physical pain, injury or mental injury.
  • What is Exploitation? Any action which may include, but is not limited to, the unjust or improper use of a vulnerable adult’s financial power of attorney, funds, property, or resources by another person for profit or advantage.
  • What is Neglect? Failure of a caregiver to provide food, clothing, shelter or medical care reasonably necessary to sustain the life and health of a vulnerable adult.
  • What is Self Neglect? Failure of a vulnerable adult to provide food, clothing, shelter or medical care reasonably necessary to sustain their own life and health.


Aging and Disability Resource Centers

Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs) are the first place to go to get accurate, unbiased information on all aspects of life related to aging or living with a disability. ADRCs are friendly, welcoming places where anyone—individuals, concerned families or friends, or professionals working with issues related to aging or disabilities—can go for information specifically tailored to their situation. The ADRC provides information on a broad range of programs and services, helps people understand the various long term care options available to them, helps people apply for programs and benefits, and serves as the access point for publicly-funded long term care. These services can be provided at the ADRC, via telephone, or through a home visit, whichever is more convenient to the individual seeking help.

An Aging and Disability Resource Center provides the following services and more:

a) Information and Awareness:
Contact the Information and Assistance staff at 208-233-4032

  • Information about local services and resources
  • Assistance in finding services to match your needs

– In-home care
– Housekeeping and chore services
– Home modifications, safety and maintenance
– Health (healthy lifestyles, management of chronic conditions, dementia, etc.)
– Respite
– Transportation
– Nutrition, home delivered meals
– Housing, including senior and low income housing
– Assisted Living, nursing homes and other long term care facilities
– Financial assistance (e.g., Social Security, SSI, Disability, Medicare, Medicaid and other benefit programs)
– Legal issues (guardianship, power of attorney, client rights advocacy)
– Abuse, neglect and financial exploitation
– Mental health, alcohol and drug abuse, crisis intervention
– Employment, vocational services, volunteer work
– Adaptive equipment
– Other

b) Long Term Care Options Counseling:

  • Information about the choices you have when making decisions about where to live, what kind of help you need, where to receive that care and help, and how to pay for it.
  • One-on-one consultation to help you think through the pros and cons of the various options in light of your situation, values, resources and preferences. Contact the Information and Assistance staff at 208-233-4032

c) Benefit Counseling:

  • Benefit specialists provide information about government and other benefits that you may be entitled to receive, such as Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Disability, low income housing, etc.
  • Benefit specialists advocate for you when you have problems with Medicare, Social Security, and other benefits.
  • Elderly Benefit Specialists serve people age 60 years of age and older.
  • Disability Benefit Specialists serve adults with a disability under age 60. This includes people with a physical disability, people with a developmental disability, and people with mental illness or substance abuse issues. Contact the Senior Medicare patrol staff at 208-233-4032

d) Hospital Discharge Planning

Discharge Planning is a process, not a single event. Medicare defines discharge planning as: “A process used to decide what a patient needs for a smooth transition from one level of care to another.”

As a result of this process, the discharge plan may address the options:

  • To return home to live with an array of support services
  • To live with a family member’s in their home with services, or
  • To reside in a new place outside the hospital with services.

Staff of the ADRC work with the hospital case manager and the patient to ensure that he/she has the information they need to make informed decisions about their support options as they move through critical transition points in the health and long term support system. Contact the Information and Assistance staff at 208-233-4032.


Information & Assistance

The Information and Assistance Program can provide Options Counseling to help families make informed choices for themselves and their families. We can meet in person or talk on the phone, whatever works best for you. We can also link individuals needing assistance with community resources and social service agencies.

  • Connect individuals needing assistance with appropriate community and social service agencies.
  • Provide information to help families make informed choices for themselves and their family, including requests for information on assisted living facilities, nursing homes, home delivers meals, homemaker services, and transportation.
  • Alzheimer’s Information & Training
  • Assistive Technology Re-Use Program (Provides individuals a place to locate/donate durable medical equipment, such as walkers, wheelchairs, canes and bath aids.)
  • Caregiver Supports (caregiver-handbook)
  • Available Services for Veterans (Veterans Directory)
  • Southeast Idaho Resource Directory (Southeast Idaho Resource Directory)

Contact Us: 208-233-4032


Family Caregiver Support

National Family Caregiver Support Program (NFCSP)
There are two groups who are eligible to receive services under this program:
(1) family caregivers taking care of an elderly person 60 years of age or older, and
(2) grandparents and other relatives aged 55 years or older who are caring for a “child” (an individual who is not more than 18 years of age or who is an individual with a disability).

NFCSP services available to these families are:

  1. Public Information services;
  2. Access Assistance;
  3. Counseling, Support Groups and Caregiver Training to help caregivers make decisions, resolve problems, and develop the skills needed to care for their loved one;
  4. Respite to provide caregivers with a break from their care-giving responsibilities;
  5. Supplemental Services that can help modify a home, provide supplies necessary to assist the individual, and offer support to the caregiver.

Medicare Assistance

  • For more information about Idaho’s Medicaid program you can click here: HealthAndWelfare.Idaho.gov
  • For more information about Medicare you can click here: Medicare.gov
  • Beneficiaries with Medicare who have limited income and assets may qualify for Extra Help with the costs of their prescription drugs. For more information about Extra Help and to see if you qualify to Save Money on Your Medicare and Prescription Drug Expenses you can click here: Secure.SSA.gov/i1020/start

Nutrition Program

The goal of the Senior Nutrition Program is to provide seniors with an opportunity to socialize and participate in their community, decrease isolation, improve nutritional intake, and access supportive services that enhance their quality of life and overall health.

The Program provides two separate but related services: Congregate Meals and Home-Delivered Meals.
Congregate Meals are served in group settings, most often at senior centers, but also occasionally at meal sites located in churches or schools.
Home-Delivered Meals are delivered to eligible individuals who are homebound due to frailty or illness, or who, for some other reason are unable to prepare a nutritious meal for themselves.

Information about congregate meals and home delivered meals in the seven counties we serve can be found here: Nutrition Providers Contact List



The Transportation program provides transport for Idaho seniors with health or functional limitations which curtail their ability to drive. The program provides transportation for:

  1. life-sustaining trips such as medical visits, shopping, banking and employment; and
  2. quality of life trips which include recreational and social trips, community outings, and visits with family to reduce isolation and increase physical and social activity.

Pocatello Regional Transit – 208-234-2287  •  PocatelloTransit.com

Gifts and Donations

The Area Agency on Aging provides, coordinates and funds numerous community and in-home services for aging adults including: homemaker services, family caregiver respite, information and assistance, home delivered meals, senior center meals, long term care volunteers, adult protection services and veteran directed services.

Just as the communities of southeast Idaho turn to the Area Agency on Aging to help those most in need, the Area Agency on Aging relies on these communities and its members for support. There are several alternatives in giving that will ensure continued services offered by our agency for families and individuals facing or experiencing the need for assistance.

SICOG/Area Agency on Aging is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Contributions are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.


Help Us Keep Seniors Safe at Home

You can make a difference! The demand for services grows as the local aging population increases. Unfortunately, needs exceed our available resources.

Giving throughout the year, whether by way of check or volunteering, helps meet the current needs of seniors in our southeast Idaho communities. Through planned giving, earmarking donations for specific services or gifts donated, you are helping us build a strong Aging Services Network for southeast Idaho.

 Call us for further information — 208-233-4032

Aging Resource Library
Below is a collection of resources offered by our agency and others who provide resources and help for seniors.
Frequently Asked Questions
about our Aging Programs and Services
The Circuit Breaker Program is another name for the Property Tax Reduction Program. For qualified applicants, this program reduces property taxes by as much as $1,320. The amount of reduction is based on income from the previous calendar year. The property tax reduction will not reduce any solid waste fees, irrigation fees or other fees charged by governmental entities. For more information, go to: Tax.Idaho.gov/taxes/property/homeowners/reduction/

The Idaho Department of Labor offers an employment program for persons 55 years of age and over who meet the income criteria. Persons are placed in a non-profit agency 20 hours per week at a minimum. Individuals who are not eligible for this program will be referred to other appropriate agencies. Phone 208-236-6710, ext. 3661.

Call the Idaho Legal Aid line at 208-233-0079 to set up an appointment with an attorney. The attorney will help address a variety of legal issues, but does not accept criminal or fee-generating cases.

The Idaho Department of Insurance operates a Senior Health Insurance Benefits Advisors Program (SHIBA) which provides insurance counseling at no charge. Call 208-236-6044.
Home Delivered Meals are available throughout the Area Agency on Aging’s service area. Information on meal services can be found in the Southeast Idaho Resource Directory under the topic of Senior Centers or by contacting a local senior center to see what is available in her area.
 Download a listing of Meal Providers.
Call the Information and Assistance desk at 208-233-4032 for options on services. The information and assistance staff will assist you in linking your parents to several options for supportive services including Area Agency on Aging services, community resources or social service agencies.

Yes. Download the Southeast Idaho Resource Directory, or, we can mail you a list of skilled nursing and assisted living homes in the Area Agency on Aging service area. Either e-mail your request to Gina Hubbard at gina.hubbard@sicog.org, or call us at

The place for information and assistance! Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs) are the first place to go to get accurate, unbiased information on all aspects of life related to aging or living with a disability. More information about ADRC’s can be found here Additional Information: ADRC. For further information about Area V Agency on Aging ADRC’s services you may contact Information and Assistance staff at 208-233-4032.
Suspected abuse of a senior adult should be reported to the Adult Protection Service at the Area Agency on Aging. Financial exploitation is the most common type of elder abuse; other types include physical abuse and neglect by a caregiver. Contact the Information and Assistance staff at the Area Agency on Aging at 208-233-4032 or 1-800-526-8129 for an adult protection screening.

Other questions or concerns? Need materials, information, or just need to discuss caregiver options? Give us a call at 208-​233-4032 or email us at gina.hubbard@sicog.org